EACH SUMMER, CAMP OTX HIRES UP TO 250 COLLEGE-AGED YOUNG PEOPLE TO SERVE AS CABIN COUNSELORS. THE POSITION OF CABIN COUNSELOR IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF CAMP, AND IS FOR THOSE WHO DESIRE TO HAVE FUN, LIVE WITH, LOVE, AND MINISTER TO CAMPERS 24 HOURS A DAY, 7 DAYS A WEEK. CAMP OTX CABIN COUNSELORS HAVE THE UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY TO USE THEIR TALENTS TO WORK DIRECTLY WITH CHILDREN, TEACH ACTIVITY CLASSES, LEAD DEVOTIONALS AND TO SERVE THE OVERALL MISSION OF CAMP OTX.
The overall responsibility of a Cabin Counselor is serve as an upbeat Christian role model for all Camp OTX campers. Cabin Counselors live with, supervise, mentor and lead a cabin of Camp OTX campers. Typically, there are 2 to 3 Cabin Counselors assigned to each cabin of 11 to 13 campers. Cabin Counselors have many other opportunities to serve Camp OTX campers as well. Cabin Counselor duties include, but are not limited to:
- Directly overseeing 11 to 13 campers in a cabin
- Teaching classes in one or more areas of the Camp OTX morning program
- Coaching a team of campers each morning during Team Competition
- Supervising an area of camp during Stampede (campers’ free time)
- Spending time with campers when not on duty during Stampede
- Supervising and participating in Special Events (nightly parties)
- Leading nightly cabin devotionals
All Cabin Counselors can expect to learn valuable lessons in working with children, group management, teaching, communication, teamwork, and servanthood. All Cabin Counselors work under the direction and supervision of both full-time staff and senior summer staff. Camp OTX Cabin Counselors play a pivotal role in the experience, ministry and outreach of Camp OTX. Previous experience working with children is not required, but preferred.
Finally, all Cabin Counselors get to work in an exciting, kid-oriented Christian environment alongside other talented and passionate college students. The hours are long and the work is challenging, but the job is very rewarding!